Software developer and PhD fellow — I take an entrepreneurial and scientific approach to software research, design, and development, working with algorithms, machine learning, and mobile applications.
I am a part of the Quality of Life technologies lab at the University of Copenhagen. Before this, in the industry, I worked as a software engineer at Alipes and Microsoft in Copenhagen and as a software engineering intern at Amazon in Iasi and Google in Mountain View. In the startups’ world, I was a technical co-founder at Habitlab and a developer at Steps in Copenhagen.
In academia, I completed a master in computer science at the University of Copenhagen and a bachelor in computer science with distinction at the University of Iași. In my free time, I help organize Frederiksberg Toastmasters, probably the best public speaking club in Copenhagen.
- H2020 WellCo – researcher and software developer
- Innosund – “co-founder”, researcher, and software developer
- Vlad Manea, Katarzyna Wac. mQoL: Mobile Quality of Life lab: from Behavior Change to Quality of Life. Workshop on Mobile Human Contributions, MHC 2018. In conjunction with the ACM international joint conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing, UBICOMP 2018, Singapore | Article | Demo | Presentation
- Sofia Laghouila, Vlad Manea, Veronica Estrada-Galinanes, Katarzyna Wac. Digital health tools for chronic illness and dementia risk assessment in older adults. Annual meeting and scientific sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, Annals of Behavioral Medicine. SBM 2018, New Orleans, LA, United States. Acceptance rate 27% | Reference
- Troels Monsted, Andreas Johansen, Frederik Lauridsen, Vlad Manea, Konstantin Slavin-Borovskij. Balancing priorities. A field study of coordination in distributed elder care. Hawaii international conference on system sciences. HICSS 2016, Kauai, HI, United States | Reference | Article | Presentation
- Andreas Johansen, Frederik Lauridsen, Vlad Manea, Konstantin Slavin-Borovskij, Troels Monsted. Improving coordination of care centers for the elderly through IT support. Poster ACM conference on computer-supported cooperative work. CSCW 2015, Vancouver, BC, Canada | Reference | Poster
- Troels Monsted, Andreas Johansen, Frederik Lauridsen, Vlad Manea, Konstantin Slavin-Borovskij. IT-supported coordination of elder care. Workshop on Experiences of Technology Appropriation: Unanticipated Users, Usage, Circumstances, and Design. In conjunction with the European conference on computer-supported cooperative work, ECSCW 2015, Oslo, Norway | Article
- Andrei Arusoaie, Alexandru Cristei, Cristian Chircu, Andrei Livadariu, Vlad Manea, Adrian Iftene. Augmented reality. International Symposium on numeric and symbolic algorithms for scientific computing. SYNASC 2010, Timisoara, Romania | Reference
- Vlad Manea, Emanuela Cerchez, Marinel Serban. The .campion educational archive. National conference on virtual learning. CNIV 2009, Iasi, Romania. Excellence award. ISSN 1842-4708 | Article | Award
- Vlad Manea, Alexandru Perietanu, Vlad Constantinescu, Claudia Carausu, Emanuela Cerchez. The counseling class educational portal. National conference on virtual learning. CNIV 2008, Constanta, Romania. Intel Education award. ISSN 1842-4708 | Article | Award
- Vlad Manea. Quality of Life. Can Data Decide Your Health – Human / Legal Perspectives? KU PLUS. UCPH Innovation Hub. November 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark | Event | Presentation
- Vlad Manea, Veronica Estrada-Galinanes, Katarzyna Wac. Assessing chronic illness risk in older adults via personal digital health tools. ACM international Digital Health conference. DH 2018, April 2018, Lyon, France | Poster
- Vlad Manea, Veronica Estrada-Galinanes, Katarzyna Wac. Mobile Quality of Life lab. ACM international Digital Health conference. DH 2018, April 2018, Lyon, France. Nominated for the Innovation Prize in the category of the best data-driven innovation | Poster | Presentation | Demo | Nomination
- Vlad Manea. Prototyping. Invited lectures for the Knowledge-Based Entrepreneurship master course. UCPH Innovation Hub. December 2015, Copenhagen, Denmark | Slides
- Codrin Ditu, Madalina Lazar, Vlad Manea, Anca Roscan, Sabin-Corneliu Buraga. Cultural exchange. A web-enhanced better living. AIdeas paper session of the Winter Olympics on artificial intelligence and multi-agent systems. AIWO 2011, January 2011, București, Romania. First prize winner | Presentation
- Mobile Quality of Life Lab: requirements, design, and feedback for an iOS app with the aim of helping people Take Control of their Quality of Life in our lab. Envisioned to allow natural exploration of quality of life and daily life behaviors. We are happy to receive feedback!
- Habitlab iOS app for habit formation: meant to help people build good habits and make them stick. The app featured a menu with scheduling, programs, progress tracking, and social activities. Contained customizable plans for running, reading, unplugging, and reconnecting with friends. I was the main developer of the app: implemented in November 2015 – March 2016, released in the app store in March 2016, and updated until July 2016.
- Physio iOS app for physiotherapy: meant to help physiotherapists increase the compliance of their patients through pre-scheduled, customizable 1:1 programs with weeks, steps, exercises, repetitions, durations, charts, and more. Participatory designed with a physiotherapist. I was the main developer of the app: implemented in May 2016 – July 2016 and released in the app store in July 2016.
- .campion educational archive: a web application that organizes the algorithmic tasks from 10 years of the .campion program, by linking the algorithmic problems to articles and educational software. The application has been in use for 9 years and had between 5.000 and 15.000 users annually
- Knuth morris pratt algorithm educational software: a web application which simulates and explains string pattern matching algorithms on carefully selected examples. Acquired by the Siveco Romania company and integrated into the national Advanced e-Learning system; showcased at the Online Educa Berlin global conference.
- Counselling class educational portal: a web application with Counseling class resources for teachers and students. The application contained original curricula, educational software, games, presentations, lesson plans, a dictionary, and more.
- Master thesis co-advisor, Mads Schnoor Hansen, M.Sc. in computer science at the Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen. Fall 2018 to Summer 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Master thesis co-advisor, Joni Mok, M.A. in communication design – design for people – at the Kolding Design School. Winter 2018 to Spring 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Teaching assistant at the Advanced Computer Systems course for the M.Sc. in computer science at the Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen, 100 students. Fall 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Teaching assistant at the Introductory Java Programming course for the M.Sc. in computer science at the Department of Systems and Software, the IT University of Copenhagen, 45 students. Fall 2013, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Teaching assistant at the Algorithms and Programming course for the B.Sc. in computer science at the Faculty of Informatics, the University of Iasi, 30+30 students in my group, 400+ overall. Fall 2011, Iasi, Romania.
- University student lecturer at the Algorithms course for high school students preparing for the Olympiad in Informatics at the City Center of Excellence Iasi, 15 students every year. 2009-2011, Iasi, Romania.
The mobile Quality of Life app features a menu of observational and interventional explorations for longitudinal behavior monitoring.
The Habitlab app featured a menu with four behavior change flavors: exercising, reading, unplugging, and reconnecting with friends. Graphic design by Christina Lauer (Today Studio)
The physiotherapy app featured programs that included 1:1 work with the physiotherapist. raphic design by Alessia Curcio (Kopendesign) and Christina Lauer (Today Studio)
Part of the Counselling class portal: educational software for healthy eating